Monday, February 16, 2009

O.L.S.G.P. PASTA

OLSGP PASTA


O.L.S.G.P. stands for Onions, Leeks, Sausage, Garlic and Parmesan. I know, clever title for this recipe, oh well.

I've been working a lot lately, and earlier in the week things got truly desperate as I found myself to be down to just some pasta, a bag of onions, and a bag of pre-grated parmesan (and a few other things, but nothing else that could potentially be combined).

At the time I was also sick, and I wasn't about to go to the store anytime soon.

So I sliced the onions really thin, caramelized them with some garlic, boiled the pasta, and threw on some cheese. Cheap, quick, easy, edible.

Today I finally went and hit up the store, and I came back to this recipe. Deciding I wanted to expand on it some, I got some leeks, italian sausage, and a block of parmesan.

The onion is still the star of this recipe though, so there's a good bit of onion.

Here's the recipe:

1 package italian sausage
2 onions
2 leeks
8 cloves of garlic
Half a box of angel hair pasta
Block of parmesan.

Put a big pan over medium heat. Brown and drain your sausage. (If it is in a skin, remove it from the skin.) Remove the sausage from the pan, and set aside.

Reduce the pan to medium-low heat. Slice your onions and leeks really thin and throw them into the pan. Don't touch them! Let them sit for a little bit and start to caramelize and brown. Don't let them sit too long though, or they'll start to burn.

While the onions and leeks are caramelizing, chop your garlic. By the time you finish doing this should probably be a good time to toss the onions for the first time. Add the garlic at this point.

While this is cooking, boil some water and cook up your pasta. I did a half a box, but really how much you make is up to you.

Toss the onions every so often to prevent burning. Once they're all brown and soft, and the garlic is soft, you're pretty much done. Drain your pasta, toss it with the onions, leeks, sausage and garlic and serve. Grate parmesan on top.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

That sounds good. I like to cook too but rarely have time for it now. I just made Pad See Ew tonight though, I'll post the recipe on my blog.