Sunday, January 25, 2009

Catching Up

I'm catching up on the last few weeks of reading for Zara's class, and I just finished reading Chapter 2 from The Society of the Spectacle.

Holy crap.

Reading that thing made my head spin. I'm hoping that it's just a side effect of translation, but there is so much double talk in that thing I had to read each paragraph over about three times.

Having gotten through it though, I must admit that I really dig it. It really fits nicely with a piece I started work on the other night.

I dig this quote (which seems to be rephrased and reiterated at least a dozen times in this chapter) "...the real world is replaced by a selection of images which are projected above it, yet which at the same time succeed in making themselves regarded as the epitome of reality."

Awesome.

I can't help but find myself thinking about Magritte's Treachery of Images though...
Ceci n'est pas une pipe

No comments: