Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Joe Harmon's Wooden Supercar

While I was down in the bay area, I spent some time visiting my optometrist. My vision is deteriorating (it's still not horrible...but its way worse than it was ~3 years ago) and snowboarding without something to correct my vision is far more exciting than it is fun.

While waiting for the follow up to my contacts fitting, I was flipping through a car magazine that was laying there, and I came across this:

Joe Harmon's Splinter


Joe Harmon is a grad student in industrial design at North Carolina State University. This supercar is his thesis project and it's made (almost) entirely out of wood. Not carved from a giant block, but made of wooden composites, cut from veneer, woven on a loom, and then infused with resin. It's super cool, super strong, and just all around neat. Especially if you're a materials nut.

Some really cool stuff:




No comments: