Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cornish Game Hen

Made a cornish game hen with parmesan rice stuffing tonight. The hen came out alright, but the stuffing was AMAZING.

You should be warned: I don't really measure when I cook. (Baking, yes, but cooking, not so much.) So all these measurements are estimates.


Stuffing

The Stuffing
Melt 1/4 cup butter in a sauce pan.
Saute 1/2 chopped onion
Add half a cup rice
~1 cup white wine
~1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Let simmer until the rice is fully cooked.


Cornish Game Hen

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Rub the hen inside and out with olive oil.
Mix together equal parts salt, pepper, cinnamon, basil and garlic powder.
Rub the hen inside and out.
Stuff full of stuffing. (Wow... that sounds dumb when I say it)
Place in a roasting pan breast side up.
Roast for 1 hour.
When finished do NOT forget that you just left the roasting pan in a 350 degree oven for an hour and grab the lid with your bare hands. (Yep... did that)

As I said earlier, I'm really happy with how the stuffing came out. I wasn't as pleased with the hen though, the skin was delicious, but once I got past that, it was a little bland. Next time I either need to use more spice, or marinade it in something.

No comments: